SECRET TIPS FOR SAFE FOOD STORAGE
Safe food storage is most important because it allows food to be eaten for few more times. It is a traditional domestic skill but with the passage of time, it becomes an important industrial and commercial activity.
Safe food storage is the process in which we store both cooked and raw food in an appropriate-conditions for future use and to protect the food from any harmful bacteria and other microorganisms.
Proper and safe food storage is very important because it helps to preserve the quality and nutritional value of the food.
TYPES OF FOOD STORAGE
There are basically three types of food storage which are following,
Dry Food Storage
Food storage does not require any climate-controlled environment. This includes peanut butter, potato chips, rice, vegetables, cooking items, flour, sugar, restaurants, fast food items, and canned vegetables.
Refrigerated food storage
Refrigerated food storage requires storage at a cool temperature less than a freezing point.
This includes meats, butter, cheese, eggs, fruits, specific medicines, and beverages, etc.
Frozen food storage
Frozen food storage requires food to be store at -18 degrees Celsius. This freezing -temperature inactivates bacteria, yeasts, and molds present in the food.
This includes fish, ice-creams, sausages, seasonal veggies and fruits, and plain chicken, etc.
TIPS FOR FOOD STORAGE
Here we have the following basic household and beneficial tips for the storage of food. You can easily store your food with these helpful tips and store food properly.
- Store your flours and nut flours in the freezer to maintain their freshness
- To keep carrots fresh for long-time store carrots in a jar of water
- Wash lettuce properly and then add a paper towel to your lettuce to make them fresh
- Do not fridge your sliced bread. Always freeze them because room temperature will allow growing mold.
- Always store basil at room temperature with stems in the water this will keep them fresh for a longer time.
- To keep the taste fresh and strong of the tomatoes, store tomatoes at room temperature. If you refrigerate the tomatoes, this will make tomatoes bland and mealy.
- Wrap bananas stem in plastic wrap to make them fresh and tasty for a long time. Plastic wraps contain ethylene gas which rips the banana. Do not refrigerate them.
- If you open your cheese pack then wrap them in wax paper or beeswax paper. This will protect the cheese from molding and make them fresh and keep its taste.
- Do not store your food and vegetables together because this will cause them to go bad faster. So, always keep their place in a separate bowl.
- Rinse and excess dirt from the herbs and then place them in a damp paper towel before storing them in the fridge.
- If you want to make apples crispier and tasteful, store apples in the refrigerator.
- Store your cooked food and raw food separately.
- Store your fresh food in the refrigerator to delay its decomposition.
- Growth temperature for the bacteria is between 40degree F to 140degree F. never leave your food out of the refrigerator for more than 2 hours.
Recommended Read: Top 10 Plant Based Foods High in Protein Fare